Drop, Add or Withdrawal


  • Check the for drop/add deadlines if you are considering making changes to your schedule. For additional information, consult with the Registrar's Office.
  • If you are uncertain about about whether making a change is a good idea, consult with an advisor.

Withdrawing from courses

  • Prior to withdrawing from a course(s), students should consult with an advisor or a counselor, StudentPersonnelServices@ncc.edu and consider the impact of the W grades on their financial aid or health insurance eligibility. 
  • During the refund period, students can withdraw from courses through My۰ıPortal without completing a form. For refund information, contact the Bursar.
  • After the refund period, see instructions on how to withdraw.

Policies regarding withdrawal from courses during the Fall and Spring Semesters

  • The refund period is the first three weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters. During this refund period, a course can be dropped on the portal. Instructor's approval is not required and no grade will appear on the student’s transcript. If a student's credit load drops below 12 credits, he/she will be considered a part-time student.
  • During the fourth through the ninth week of the Fall and Spring semesters, students are automatically entitled to withdraw from a course but must obtain the instructor's approval. The instructor may not refuse approval. If the instructor is unavailable, the department chairperson may approve the withdrawal. Students are required to log into the portal and request a withdrawal. A grade of W will appear on the student's transcript. The student's GPA will not be affected.
  • After the ninth week of classes, the approval is at the discretion of the instructor. Students are required to log into the portal and request a withdrawal.  If the instructors approves the request, then a grade of W will appear on the student's transcript. 
  • A student who feels that an extenuating circumstance, such as a medical or personal emergency, warrants an exception from the withdrawal policy may appeal through the Dean of Students. Students who have a medical or personal emergency can also appeal for a refund in writing to the President's Refund Committee (Tower, 5th Floor).

Withdrawal from nine (9) or more credits (including credit equivalents) after the Refund Period

  • Once the the Refund Period (first three weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters) has ended, a student who wishes to withdraw from 9 or more credits must obtain each instructor's approval to withdraw.  In addition, the student must obtain the approval from a counselor from StudentPersonnelServices@ncc.edu.
  • Submit approval to Registrar@ncc.edu and save a copy for your records.

During the Summer and Mini-Sessions

Time allowed for withdrawal vaires as per refund rules for the sessions, as listed in the . Faculty approval is still required. 

Grading options (Incomplete, S/U, UU, Repeats, WU)

  • An incomplete (INC) grade may be given to a student who has almost satisfied course requirements. When a student receives an INC, he or she must complete the missing work before the end of the following semester. The student must contact the professor to make all completion arrangements. If the student does not make-up the missing work, the INC will automatically change into an F grade at the end of the semester.
  • A grade of S (satisfactory) is issued for successful completion of developmental courses. A grade of U (unsatisfactory) is issued when a student does not pass a developmental course. These grades have no impact on a student’s GPA. A student may repeat a developmental course, but will be academically dismissed from ۰ı after the third unsuccessful attempt in any developmental course.
  • A grade of UU is issued to a student who stops attending a developmental course.  This grade is considered an unofficial withdrawal and does not affect the student's overall GPA. 
  • A grade of WU is issued to a student who stops attending a credit-level course without officially withdrawing.  The WU grade does not impact the student’s overall GPA.
  • When a student repeats a course, each course will be displayed on the student’s transcript, but only the most recent grade will be calculated in the student's overall GPA.

Top of page